At Future Wiring we always look at regulations and why they came into being.
In the industry, we believe that Part P was rushed through the parliamentary process because an MP’s daughter was electrocuted.
The rumour is based on some facts, as Mary Wherry, the Daughter of MP Jenny Tonge, the Liberal Democrat MP, was tragically killed when she was electrocuted in her own home. She was electrocuted after cowboy builders botched the installation of her fitted kitchen, a coroner ruled.
Mary Wherry, 34, the mother of two young sons, was unloading her dishwasher and is believed to have been putting a spoon onto a metal, wall-mounted utensil rack when she received an electric shock.
Mrs Wherry’s shock proved fatal, because her ankle was touching the metal-fronted, open door of the dishwasher, completing the circuit.
She collapsed on the floor at her home in Hampton Hill, South-west London, in July and was found unconscious by her two young sons, George, five and Mickey, four. Neighbours were alerted by screams from the children and ran to help, but Mrs Wherry had been killed instantly.
Police brought in electrical experts who found that the Huddersfield-based builders who installed the kitchen in 1999 had broken a string of safety guidelines issued by the Institute of Electrical Engineers. The electric cable, which led from a fuse box to the extractor fan hood above the cooker, was not insulated and was only 10mm deep in the wall instead of the recommended 50mm and run at 5 degree angle, meaning it veered into an area he did not expect it to be. When he screwed the drainer into the wall the screw was left almost touching the wire. As the drainer moved slightly over the years it finally came into contact with the wire electrifying it, which then killed Mrs Wherry.
At Future Wiring we follow the British Standard Electrical installations wiring regulations seventeenth Edition and use the safe zone. We also use rcd or rcbo and FP200 cable which would have stopped this Tragedy.
Safe zone are safe zone which the 17 regulation recommend to run your cable which help you know there they are in the wall. At Future Wiring we take a picture to remind you where your cables are to.
Residual-Current Device (R.C.D)
RCD’s work by means of the current balance principle so if it detect earth fault current it will interrupt the supply stopping the current flows to the fault.
But RCD are a Mechanical Protection which means it needs to be tripped at least once a month by the test button. To check that it is still working.
We use this cable because it has a Laminated aluminium metal Screen which is connected to the earth cable which will trip the RCD or the MCD if screws or a nail goes through the cable.
The cable is also heat resistant and cut down emfs which can cause interference with data cables.